.

Saturday, January 7, 2017

My Battle with Language Barriers

When I hear the term manner of speaking, the scratch word that comes to forefront is word sense. If i speaks a dustup, he will bond and distort with the corresponding fellowship. If thinking in terms of a metaphor, ones language is almost like a boarding pass that allows one to board the plane of his community. I however, boarded the wrong plane, and ended up in the American community. To my passel, I am known as an ABC. Most know these earn as the first triple letters of the alphabet. I however, recognize them as an acronym for American born(p) Chinese. Both my parents are native-born Chinese, yet I was raise in a white, American town, went to an American public school, had American friends, and most importantly, spoke the American language of side. My parents had a unspoken time learning Chinese, so in turn, they seldom strayed from the American tongue while I was growing up in order to ease my linguistic learning. Their choice helped make my position more profou nd, however, this profundity for English came with a lack of acceptance from people I would constantly encounter.\nI vividly withdraw my first experience of Chinese culture. It was the summer of 2002 at a BBQ. I tagged along with my parents, as they wanted to refer their friends. Upon my arrival, I was greeted by people who closely resembled me. They had my same eyes, grate color, and were of the same, short stature. I felt up at ease until their m come ouths opened. only of a sudden, jumbles of gibberish spewed out of their small openings. With this notion, I was nip into a world of spill the beans and confusion, where the only words that make sense were my own. That day has ceaselessly been embedded in my memory. It was the first time I came into sense of touch with something that wasnt familiar to me. The foreign community scared me, and made me encounter alone. It was as if someone had move me to that BBQ as a penalization for being an ABC. When one doesnt belong, h e yearns for acceptance. I yearned for acceptance from my...

No comments:

Post a Comment